To send group email through an outgoing SMTP mail server, you will have to create a sender account in GroupMail and enter the SMTP settings of the mail server that you will be sending your messages through.
SMTP stands for Simple Mail Transfer Protocol. It is the most common method used to send email. Basically, there are three components that make up SMTP settings.
1. The SMTP mail server address,
2. The SMTP outgoing port number, and
3. The SMTP authentication details for your account with them
With the release of GroupMail Version 5.3.0118 we have made setting up your account even easier. Now, GroupMail will attempt to automatically detect your outgoing SMTP mail server settings based on the email address and password that you enter.
Below are instructions for creating a GroupMail Account using both the Automatic Setup available with the release of GroupMail version 126.96.36.199 and Manual Setup.
To automatically detect the SMTP Server Settings, go to the Tools/Account Manager and click on New.
On the New Account screen, enter your From Identity details.
After entering the From Name, Organization, Email Address and Password for that email address, press Next. GroupMail will then try to automatically configure the SMTP server settings based on those details.
- First, it will search for the SMTP Server Name, Port Number and Authentication details based on the email address you entered.
- Then, once it has located these details it will try sending a Test Message to confirm that the settings are working.
- If the test message is successful, you can click on Next.
- Finally all you need to do is enter a Descriptive Name for the Account.
Press Finish to complete the setup! Now you are ready to start sending from this account.
As with all accounts you can press the Modify button to make changes to this account at any stage.
If you would rather configure your own account manually. On the Tools Menu, Account Manager, New screen, click on the bottom option “Manual Account Setup – Enter your own Server details“.
To add the SMTP settings for your outgoing mail server in GroupMail, go to the Account Manager (Tools/Account Manager) and either click New, Modify or Import on the Account Manager screen depending on whether you want to create a new account, modify an existing one or import existing SMTP settings from your Outlook or Outlook Express client on that computer.
Below are some screenshots of the process for adding SMTP settings to an account setup to send through a Gmail SMTP mail server.
* On the user information screen above, enter a descriptive name for the account at the top. The information you enter in the Name and Organization fields is what will appear to your recipients in the From field when they get email from you. So give some thought about how you would like to represent yourself or your business. Of course, you will need to enter the email address you are sending from and the one where you want replies to go too.
* If you do not know the SMTP mail server address for your mail server, contact the host of that server and ask them for any details that you are not familiar with.
* Authentication details for most mail servers include your full email address for that server and a password associated with that account. After clicking OK in the Authentication area, you will be back at the Delivery Options screen.
* The advanced screen shown above is accessed by clicking the “Advanced” button at the bottom of the Delivery Options screen.
* To test your settings, click Test (twice) at the bottom of the Delivery Options screen.
** Remember to click OK to exit the Account Properties screen to save your settings after closing the Test window.
To help, we have compiled the the outgoing SMTP email settings for many popular ISPs and mail servers on our support page.
As always, if you have any questions or need some help along the way, don’t hesitate to contact our technical support team.
Interested? Download our award-winning GroupMail email newsletter software and get started.