“How can I create a custom mailto: link in my newsletter so the subject line and email addresses of an email are pre-populated for my recipients when they click on it?”
GroupMail email newsletter and marketing software includes a Mailto: Link Builder Add-On allows you to create a highly customized mailto: link for your email newsletters and marketing campaigns. When your recipients click on your custom mailto: link, their email client will open with the email address(es), subject and even some body text already filled in for them.
A custom mailto: link is useful in many cases, such as creating an unsubscribe link with a Subject Line that you can control so you can process your unsubscribe requests automatically with Subscriber.
How to use the GroupMail Mailto: Link Builder
To start the ‘Mailto: Link Builder’ Add-on, you can either,
a. Click on the ‘Mailto: Link Builder’ icon from the Message Editor Toolbar, or
b. Navigate to Tools/Mailto: Link Builder from the menu bar in the GroupMail Message Editor
You can enter custom content for the following fields using the Mailto: Link Builder
- To – This is the Email Address that you want to send the message to.
- CC – Cc is an abbreviation for carbon copy. If you add a recipient’s name to this, a copy of the message is sent to that recipient and the recipient’s name is visible to other recipients of the message.
- BCC– Bcc is an abbreviation for blind carbon copy. If you add a recipient’s name to this, a copy of the message is sent to that recipient and the recipient’s name is not visible to other recipients of the message.* If you want to have multiple email addresses for any of the above fields (To, CC or BCC), separate each email with a comma.
- Subject – This is the Subject Line that you want to appear on the message.
- Body – Please notice that not all of the email clients will support this field so please use with care.
- Link Text – This will appear as the HTML Anchor tag. If you leave this field empty, the text from the ‘Preview’ box will become the text of this Mailto link and will be displayed on the message. Please notice that this ‘Link Text’ only works with the HTML messages.
Click Test to preview the mailto: link that you created.
If you are satisfied with the elements of your custom mailto: link, simply click Insert to insert your custom mailto: link to your email.
In our example, we entered Technical Support Department as the Subject and Support Dept as the Link Text so they would appear as the Subject and mailto: link text for the message your recipients will see.
Now, when your recipients click on this Mailto: Link from your email messages, an email client will pop up with all of your filled data.
If you have questions or need any help, contact the GroupMail support team.
Get GroupMail newsletter and mass mailing software and customize your email.